Well, today is the last day on the island. I have been neglectful of this blog because my last few weeks/days have been so packed with adventure!
Yesterday we made an attempt to climb Moa Puta. My camera is still MIA so I will have to post some retroactive blog posts with the amazing pictures. It started to rain when we were partway up, so alas, me and 5 students didn't get to summit and see the hole in the mountain. There is a hole in this mountain, did I mention? The legend is something along the lines of a jealous warrior throwing a spear from Tahiti to Raiatea to stab his wife-stealing enemy in the heart, which formed the hole in Moa Puta. Eight of my students made it up, but then it started pouring and I got pretty worried that someone was going to die (and so apparently were the other instructors worried, oops), but then I saw them all sliding down mudslides on their butts and laughing their heads off and it was all good. We were SOOOO muddy. It was pretty fun!
We had a delicious last dinner, and it was very sad. Today is the last day on the island and I have to pack, swim in the pool at my parent's hotel, drive around the island one last time, and then we're going to see the Samoan circus tonight. That should be fun. Hopefully I can also see the sunset from somewhere on the west side of the island, since we've never gotten a good chance to see it.
It's been an amazing time here, but I'm glad because now the vacation starts! I am sure you all thought I was on vacation already, but no! The real vacation starts tomorrow with first a trip to Rangiroa, where I hope to do some awesome scuba diving. Then to Tahiti Iti for some quiet beach time. Then over to the the sofitel in Papeete to finish up and hopefully enjoy some of the weekend life of the city. I am excited for the food carts! My parents are enjoying themselves a lot, but I think they are seeing what I like to do more than what they like to do. What I like is moving around, seeing lots of things and not spending tons of money. They like to sit and read. Which is a bit boring. :P
Anyways, internet will be patchy for the next bit, but when I am back in Berkeley I will post up some amazing vacation pictures!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment