The final long trip of the
course was to a montane field station called Cuerrici (named after the turtle
shaped mountain of the same name). The higher elevation means another change in
vegetation, and we got treated to two types of very interesting habitat. The
first was the very interesting oak-bamboo forest, which can feel surreally like
walking through a kunfu movie. The tropical oaks have much rounder leaves than
the wavy-edge oaks I’m used to in California, and are evergreen so they don’t
lose their leaves in the winter. The bamboo grows in thick stands interspersed
with the oaks, and sometimes it certainly feels like there should be pandas
roaming around.
The second type of habitat
we visited is called paramo- it’s the high elevation shrub-land of the tropics.
All the vegetation is short and knarly, kind of reminiscent of the desert scrub
you may have seen in the States. The dryer, higher paramo is really fun to walk
around in, and it reminded me a lot of time I’ve spent at Red Rocks near Vegas.
I kept seeing bouldering problems everywhere! It was a bit chillier though, and
although I didn’t get to experience it, my friends felt some horizontal rain on
their wanderings in the paramo. A truly Mars-esque landscape, very very
different from the hot humid and loud greenery of La Selva and other lowland
locales.
While at Cuerrici, we were
joined by Bob Timm and Deedra McClearn, two faculty who have worked a lot on
mammals. I was in their FFP group, and we got to capture mice for our project.
It was a lot of fun working with vertebrates! I even got to handle a couple of animals. You have to hold
them by the scruff, like a mother cat picking up her kittens, and then you can
mark them (hair-dye on the armpit, nailpolish on the toenails), measure them (tail
and foot length) and weigh them (some as small as 20 grams)!
We also did some mist
netting to catch birds, which reminded me a lot of my summer working with
warblers in Ontario. I didn’t get to handle any birds because we didn’t catch
many, but it was fun to see them up close when other people had them in hand.
It really made me want to work with birds again- maybe I’ll try to get some
time in at a banding station in the next year.
The third and final
vertebrate we handled was fish. Cuerrici is a finca (farm) for truchas (trout)
and mora (blackberries). The main owner, Don Carlos, was generous enough to
serve us from his own trout stock on the last night. The trout are kept in a
series of ponds and pools, moved from one to the other as they grow. We used
some heavy nets to catch the fish, keeping only the bigger ones and throwing
back the little guys. Once flopping around on the grass, the fish needed to be
butchered, and I helped out. It is nice to know how to catch, kill, gut, and
filet a fish, because I feel this is an essential survival skill. Although gruesome
and sometimes gross, I prepared the fish from killing them through filet.
(Well, I watched Don Carlos filet -so my colleagues wouldn’t have bone-filled
fish- but I think I could do it on my own after watching him work on quite a
few).
While watching Don Carlos
filet, we also enjoyed petting the kittens at his house. They were super cute!
Of all the stations we
visited, Cuerrici was one of my favorite, reminding me of time I’ve spent in
the Sierras at friend’s cabins during the winter. It had the same cozy feeling,
with fireplaces and good sleeps under warm blankets on cool nights. If I come
back to Costa Rica, I will be sure to try to find time to come back to the oak-bamboo
forests, and enjoy some more time rocking in rocking chairs and sipping hot chocolate.
No comments:
Post a Comment