Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Goodbye Costa Rica!


Our final destination was Las Alturas, which is part of the largest protected area in Central America. It’s down close to the border with Panama, and a lot of large mammals hang out there- jaguars, tapirs and the like. I only got to enjoy one night there (because of a friend’s wedding), but it was truly fantastic! We went on a nice long hike right after arriving, up to the high elevation elvin forest. Yes, you heard that right- elvin forest. I did not see any elves, but there is a magical feel when you are hiking through stunted trees and surrounded by beautiful orchids. Literally, orchids everywhere.

After the lovely hike, my herper-friend Mike and I ventured to the river. I took a swim in the cold waters of the Rio Bella Vista. Not quite the glacial waters of Canada, but still a nice refreshing chilly dip after a long hike. There was a beautiful waterfall, and I spent some time thinking under the vines and flowers of tropical forest.

Our final night we had a nice campfire, and all cheered when the generator was shut down for the night. The full moon was bright as a lamp, giving off almost enough light to read by.

Now I am in San Jose, preparing for my flight home after nearly two months away. The strangest part is being alone for the first time in nearly eight weeks. I am so used to having friends around all of the time, that it is really lonely to not have anyone to talk to. I’ve never been one for long goodbyes, but the hug-chain the final morning still felt a bit short. I have truly made some great friends on this course, and I am really excited to see everyone over coming months and years. To my new OTS family, thanks for a great summer, I will miss you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment